Monday, July 1, 2013

Digital Native or Digital Immigrant?


I consider myself to be a digital native but some may consider me to be a digital immigrant. I was somewhat raised with technology, I got my first computer in 1995 when I was eleven years old and remember going through the first dial-up internet connection. I do hold a lot of the characteristics of a digital native. For example, I can parallel process in which I often am on Facebook (where I have close to 500 friends), playing Candy Crush, chatting with friends, and looking up something on Pintrest. I do have the skills of trying random ways to access something if one way does not work. I also consider myself a digital native for the simple fact that I am usually the point person for computer questions for my co-workers at East Providence High School, family, and friends.

To some, I may be considered a digital immigrant due to the fact that I usually text full words in text messages and do not have a smart phone. I believe in writing complete sentences in text messages out of simple stubbornness of not wanting to participate in the lingo and providing me practice in writing. I would love to have a smart phone, but the monthly cost is too much to bear with being in school and owning a home. If someone was to hand me their smart phone, I would have no issue in navigating my way through it.


Here is a video that I laugh at and enjoy watching everytime I see it:

No comments:

Post a Comment