Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sherry Turkle


Sherry Turkle’s opinion is that with all the technological advances there is one great thing that was lost, conversation. Turkle’s claim is that technology is so heavily routed in our lives that we are losing the basic connection of conversation. She explains it well in the following statement.
“We used to think, ‘I have a feeling; I want to make a call.’ Now our impulse is, ‘I want to have a feeling; I need to send a text.’” Turkle does not state that technology should be eliminated but that we as humans should take steps to make room for conversation by creating sacred spaces such as the kitchen, the dining room, or cars “device-free zones.

I believe Turkle does not challenge Wesch’s call for digital community and connection since she never states to completely get rid of technology. She simply states that conversation should be held at a high standard and that we should pull ourselves away from our devices and make connections face to face with people. I feel Wesch’s claim was geared toward educational reform where as Turkle does not mention education besides being at the library at a college level where everyone is in their own little world. We should keep our heads up and take advantage of what is around us in nature and take advantage of one another and have conversations.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Liz with your conclusion that Turkle does not challenge Wesch. I think they are looking at social media in different ways that are not necessarily opposing, just different, if that makes any sense : )

    ReplyDelete